Sunday, July 10, 2011

CTL1799: Holistic Approaches to IT begins :)

Let’s begin by admiring technology. Who would have thought it would be feasible to take a course and a vacation at the same time? Well, I arrived in India a couple of days ago – to spend the summer with my family reviving some nostalgic memories and making some more. But my grad studies continue. I started the course CTL 1799: Holistic Approaches to Information Technology last week. It is an online course utilizing a variety of learning management systems like Blackboard, C2C as well as the instructor-created course information site. The latter caught my attention as being a very valuable resource as it contains not only specific information related to this course but is also linked to several other very useful resources.

Previous online courses that I have taken had all utilized one Learning Management System. Having two for this course makes it kind of tricky to keep up. It tends to get overwhelming and I have this constant nagging that I might be missing something on some forum on some platform. On a positive note, though, I find C2C quite interesting. I have to say that KeC is still one of my favourites but C2C has some great features as well. Navigation across the forums is a bit time-consuming but once in, there are quite a few tools to skim through, read and mark, read the note info etc.

An essential that Selia mentions is that this course is based on a constructivist-model of building knowledge. Sometimes we are so used to structure and organization that having the independence and discretion to do what works best for us, in the way that best suits us – can become a bit difficult. But since constructivism, inquiry-based learning and knowledge-building are topics that I am very interested in, I am totally looking forward to what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment